Senior and Special Needs Advocacy Program
Older Dobermans and those with medical or behavioral issues can be with us for a long time. We are careful not to “warehouse” dogs, but feel strongly about providing care for dogs who have good quality of life, both physically and mentally, until such things change or until that special home comes along.
These dogs often have the added expense of medication, special diet, supplements, training, etc. SSNAP spotlights these dogs with the hope of ultimately finding a permanent home for each one.
Designated donations will be used to provide ongoing, supportive care for these wonderful dogs.
How can you participate in SSNAP?
There are several ways
- Choose a SSNAP dog and send a monthly contribution for that dog’s care. Since the costs associated can vary greatly from dog to dog and from month to month, we suggest a donation amount that is comfortable for you. Listed below are some examples of care costs.
- Designate a one-time donation for a particular dog.
- Make a donation to be used for the SSNAP dog that needs it most.
Ongoing costs of a one month supply per dog are
- $6 heartworm preventative
- $10 dietary supplements (herbs, garlic, probiotics, bee pollen)
- $20 thyroid medication
- $25 keeps one run comfortably cool during the summer
- $30 Glucosamine and Chondroitin arthritis medication
- $50 keeps one run toasty warm in the winter
- $60 special diet
These are common one time expenses
- $7 collar and ID tag
- $15 veterinary wellness check
- $24 harness
- $50 orthopedic dog bed
- $60 thyroid function test
- $75 dentistry
- $85 routine senior blood work
- $100 acupuncture for pain management
- $150 cardiac ultrasound
Participants will receive information and a picture of their sponsored dog.
Any donations designated for a specific dog, which exceed care costs, will be used to provide for other dogs in the program.
All dogs are available for adoption and our goal is to see each dog find a home.
If the dog you have chosen to sponsor is fortunate enough to be adopted, we’ll notify you and tell you the details.
If you would like to participate by sponsoring one of the DRU SSNAP Dobes, please click here for a form to fill out and send in.
You can also donate to SSNAP online with a check or credit card at the Dobermart. Thank you very much for your participation in this special program.
Bronson – 9 years old, red male who was a stray in CT. He came to DRU unaltered and with a big tumor on one of his back legs. We are awaiting biopsy results, and in the meantime we are just trying to learn more about him.
Roxy – She is 9 years old and came up from a shelter in Mississippi. She came to us slightly anemic and is hypothyroid. Sweet as can be but a little fragile, she also has some sores that are open and need to be treated.
It saddens me to say, but we very recently lost 3 SSNAP dogs that had been placed in loving homes. Our thoughts go out the the families of our recently departed Dobermans; Prima, Scooby and Sasha.